Sponsors:
Dimebag Darrell Fatally Shot

It's a general fact that people are more bothered by the deaths of people we somehow know of or are fond of. I happened to be rather fond of DimeBag Darrell as a musician, especially for his work on Pantera's album The Great Southern Trendkill. I wasn't the most devoted fan, but I really liked that album and happened to think that Darrell was one of the best guitar players out there.


Mourner lays flowers outside the Alrosa Villa nightclub

Dimebag Darrell was killed on the 24th anniversary of John Lennon's murder. Personally, I feel that the greater loss to the musical community is that of Darrell - I think he was a better musician. My apologies to Beatles fans.

The killer, Nathan Gale, was a former Marine based at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. He was discharged about two years earlier than the typical four years, but the reason why was not released for privacy reasons (source). Gale was killed by a police officer after he also killed three others.

The reasons? Gale seemed to blame Darrell for breaking up Pantera, a band he was obsessed with. Just two weeks ago, the former vocalist for Pantera Phil Anselmo commented in an interview that Darrell should be "severely beaten" (source). I don't know much about the breakup of the band, but it is clear that Darrell and Anselmo didn't part on the best of terms. Still, I was almost as big a fan of Anselmo's vocals on The Great Southern Trendkill as I was of the guitar work.




Photo of DimeBag Darrell


Another possible motive is that Gale claimed Pantera stole some of his lyrics (source). He had previously copied lyrics out of a Pantera CD booklet and claimed them as his own to a friend, saying he planned to sue the band. So maybe he was a little off his rocker - not that it makes the loss any less tragic.

What do YOU think?
Click Here to join the discussion!

Get your blog listed on my main page! by linking to this post. How do you do it? Click here to find out.

I'll add you to my Blogroll if you Blogroll Me!






















End Page