Sponsors:
The Buried Secret of M. Night Shyamalan

I don't usually see much television, but I happened to catch the last two hours (out of three, with commercials) of the Sci-Fi channel 'documentary' on M. Night Shyamalan filmed during production of The Village. I was probably the last person to know that he'd produced Signs, Unbreakable, The Sixth Sense, and.. maybe others that I don't know about. But I liked all of those fairly well, particularly Signs, and I plan on seeing The Village when it comes out. So when I came across this special, The Buried Secret of M. Night Shyamalan, I thought I'd check it out.

If you're planning on watching the special and by chance you haven't seen anything about it on Yahoo news yet, stop reading now so I won't spoil it for you.



Continuing. I found the special enjoyable enough for something on television - a bit strange, in a Blair Witch-y sort of way. It reminded me a lot of The Blair Witch Project, which was probably intended because this too is a hoax. Same general atmosphere, with the addition of the whole movie production bit thrown in. Some interviews with Shyamalan, some stuff around the set. Lots of talk of secrets, strange stuff, etc. and so on, climaxing in what seems to be some almost really paranormal stuff barely captured on camera, followed by a confrontation with M. Night about his 'secret' from which he storms off in a huff.

The secret? He fell under the ice in some pond at ten, drowned, and was revived after 35 minutes. And then he could talk to ghosts, and crows followed him around. It was a bit more subtle of course, not badly done. Oh, and of course the pond he almost died in was the site of scores of other drownings and possible witchcraft-related activities. All a little too interesting and peculiar to be true, which I suspected. And, as it turns out, when I got online I saw this: Network Says Profile of Director Shyamalan Was Hoax.

No surprise there. A bit disappointing though - it would have been far more interesting if it hadn't been a hoax. Or if they had drawn it out long enough for me to see the movie first at least. Still, not knowing enough about film to have a taste for the less mainstream, I'm looking forward to seeing The Village when it comes out.

What do YOU think?
Click Here to join the discussion!

Get your blog listed on my main page! by linking to this post. How do you do it? Click here to find out.

I'll add you to my Blogroll if you Blogroll Me!






















End Page