Sponsors:
Affirmative Action Survey Results
from The Los Angeles Times

I thought these results were interesting because they seem to indicate that, though 58% of those surveyed did not believe that the U.S. was close to ending racial discrimination (30% thought we were fairly close, and 8% very close), the majority did not believe that affirmative action was the right way to solve the problem.

Of the results, the most interesting to me were these:

55% of those polled approved of President Bush's opposition to the University of Michigan "program of racial preferences for minority applicants." 27% disapproved.

For college admissions, 57% of those polled believed that colleges should consider only a student's academic record--and not factors like geographic location, ethnicity, or gender. 33% favored considering such factors in an attempt to create a balanced student body.


I'm not appealing to public opinion as a reason to change policy, of course. But I did find it interesting that there seemed to be this level of opposition to AA programs--sometimes it's nice to know that I'm not the only one:) The 57% of people who thought colleges should consider only a student's academic record was especially surprising, as many people argue for AA in the name of balance and diversity.
What do YOU think?
Click Here to join the discussion!

Get your blog listed on my main page! by linking to this post. How do you do it? Click here to find out.

I'll add you to my Blogroll if you Blogroll Me!






















End Page